Ansök senast: 2023-01-28
Doctoral students in Computer Science
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
The School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (EECS) invites applications for two doctoral student positions in Computer Science. The ScaLab (Scalable Parallel System Laboratory) is located in the main campus in Stockholm. ScaLab focuses on designing and optimizing algorithms, computer systems software, and architecture to improve the scalability of large-scale parallel computing systems, including high-performance computing and data centers. The doctoral students will work in a diversified research group with close interaction with other research groups in Sweden, Europe, and USA.
The doctoral students will work on the software ecosystem for converged high-performance computing and cloud computing systems. In particular, the system architecture will consist of multiple heterogeneous nodes equipped with multi-core processors, accelerators like GPUs, diverse memories like HBM and NVM, and disaggregated memory and storage. The doctoral students will have opportunities to research designing and developing open-source middleware solutions to be integrated into Kubernetes plugins, MPI, system software, and libraries, to improve the scalability and efficiency of large-scale applications in science, machine learning, and data analytics. The doctoral students will also have opportunities to develop advanced system-level characterization and optimization techniques for heterogeneous computing systems. The doctoral student will collaborate with multiple leading research teams within the project, build international collaboration, and develop research and project management skills. The research is carried out within the EU horizon projects OpenCUBE and IO-SEA.
Third-cycle subject: Computer Science
Supervision: Associate Professor Stefano Markidis and Assistant Professor Ivy Peng.
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world.Read more
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH’s Doctoral student salary agreement.
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH.
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a second cycle degree (for example a master's degree), or
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 second-cycle higher education credits, or
- acquired, in some other way within or outside the country, substantially equivalent knowledge
The chosen candidate needs to be familiar with C and C++ programming.
In addition to the above, there is also a mandatory requirement for English equivalent to English B/6, read more here
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues,
- demonstrate prior experience with parallel computing, such as MPI, pthreads, OpenMP, and GPUs, and be familiar with HPC or cloud environments,
- demonstrate prior experience with developing software in Linux kernel modules, Kubernetes, file systems, or memory management and
- demonstrate the ability to work in an interdisciplinary environment and collaborate with diverse colleagues.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ' time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
Contact information KTH's website.
Doctoral section (Students’ union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
Contact information section's website.
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
Applications must include:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above). Translations into English or Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages. Copies of originals must be certified.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing, recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
Anställningsform: tidsbegränsad anställning | Anställningens omfattning: heltid | Antal lediga befattningar: 2 | Sysselsättningsgrad: 100% | Ort: Stockholm | Län: Stockholms län | Land: Sweden | Referensnummer: J-2022-2696 | Kontakt: Associate Professor Stefano Markidis email@example.com, Lisa Olsson HR Officer firstname.lastname@example.org, | Publicerat: 2022-11-10 | Sista ansökningsdag: 2022-12-08
Fler jobb från Kungliga Tekniska högskolan: