Ansök senast: 2023-04-10
Doctoral student in Computational Neuroscience
How different brain regions interact is crucial for brain function. Several studies have shown brain disease related changes in the inter-brain area interactions. Indeed, many factors can affect the functional interactions among brain regions. For this project we are interested in teasing apart the contribution of local changes in network connectivity and dynamics to the global activity of the brain. This work will involve study of the dynamics of a network of networks with varying degree of complexity in neuron and synapse properties.
The research group of Arvind Kumar is interested in how neural hardware (neuron, synapses, and connectivity structure) shapes the dynamics and function of the brain. A key goal of our research is to develop mathematical models of brain diseases and create a theoretical framework to understand the mechanisms underlying the emergence of disease related aberrant activity dynamics in diseases (e.g. Parkinson's diseases, epilepsy). While the group uses computational and analytical tools to study the brain activity dynamics, they are well integrated in the broad Stockholm neuroscience community and have active collaborations with experimentalists.
More info: https://arvkumar.github.io/
Third-cycle subject: Computer Science
Supervision: Associate Professor Arvind Kumar
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world.Read more
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH’s Doctoral student salary agreement.
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH.
- An international and highly interdisciplinary research environment with expertise in computational modelling, high performance computing, neuroscience, machine learning and Physics.
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a second cycle degree (for example a master's degree), or
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 second-cycle higher education credits, or
- acquired, in some other way within or outside the country, substantially equivalent knowledge
We are looking for a student with an MSc. (or equivalent) degree in Physics or Engineering and a strong background in analysis and modeling of physical/biological systems. Previous knowledge of neuroscience is useful but not necessary. Students who expect to graduate by Summer 2023 can also apply.
In addition to the above, there is also a mandatory requirement for English equivalent to English B/6, read more here
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
The candidate shall have a background in analysis of dynamical systems and scientific computing. Advanced communication skills especially the proficiency in English is a must.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ' time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
Contact information KTH's website.
Doctoral section (Students’ union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
Contact information section's website.
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
Applications must include:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above). Translations into English or Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages.Copies of originals must be certified.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing, recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy. Read more hereAnställningsform: tidsbegränsad anställning
Anställningens omfattning: heltid
Antal lediga befattningar: 1
Län: Stockholms län
Kontakt: Assistant Professor Arvind Kumar email@example.com, Assistant Professor Arvind Kumar firstname.lastname@example.org, Lisa Olsson HR Officer email@example.com, Lisa Olsson HR Officer firstname.lastname@example.org,
Sista ansökningsdag: 2023-03-31
Fler jobb från Kungliga Tekniska högskolan: