Institute for Advanced Sustainability Studies (IASS)
The IASS in Potsdam will devote itself to promoting at international level interdisciplinary science and research for global sustainability, particularly in the areas of climate change, the earth system and the development of new technologies.
The Institute aims at exploring new paths, encouraging lateral thinking and scientific excellence. It will analyze existing knowledge, generate new ideas and develop strategically relevant fields of research to further the understanding of climate change and the earth system.
The IASS will build a permanent platform for bringing together guest scientists providing a setting in which high-level-science can take place. It will draw on the expertise and innovation potential of qualified ‘fellows’ ranging from outstanding young scientists at the beginning of their careers to Nobel Laureates and strive for scientific exchange at the highest international level.
In establishing a network with high-level national and international research institutions, the IASS is collaborating with the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK) and the German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ), as an integral part of the Potsdam scientific community.
The Association IASS was founded on 2nd February 2009 on the recommendation of the Alliance of German Scientific Organisations for the creation of an international, interdisciplinary Institute of excellence for Advanced Sustainability Studies, located in Potsdam. The purpose of the Association is the promotion of science and research on global sustainability, particularly in the areas of climate change, earth system and sustainable development, training and advanced training of young scientists as well as the exchange of scientific information and social dialogue at the intersection between research, politics, civil society and media.
This objective will be met through:
- the activity of an interdisciplinary and internationally orientated institute conducting excellent research that will be supported by the members of the Alliance of German Scientific Organisations and their institutions,
- the support of national and international visiting scientists (fellows) in the performance of freely chosen, time limited research projects in Potsdam,
- the formation of strategic partnerships with selected universities and non-university research institutes to intensify research co-operations,
- the initiation of strategic dialogue with the representatives of the world of economy, politics, society and arts,
- the dissemination of scientific results.