Ilmenau University of Technology
The training of engineers in Ilmenau is built on a long and excellent tradition. The original institution was the Thüringisches Technikum, founded in 1894. It became the Hochschule für Elektrotechnik in 1953. Ten years later it was elevated to Technische Hochschule Ilmenau, reflecting the broader range of degree subjects offered and their academic standard. Accorded the status of University in 1992, the Technische Universität Ilmenau became, paradoxically, one of Germany’s newest Universities under its new title.