Ansök senast: 2022-11-29
Postdoc in computational enzyme design
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
Syrén's research group currently recruits a postdoctoral fellow in the development of methods for enzyme design for selective biosynthesis and functionalization of food additives from CO2. The research is funded by SSF. The main purpose of this research project is to develop methods for sustainable biocatalytic production of edible oils, such as palm oil and coconut oil, from CO2 and through designed enzymes.
You will contribute to the development of methods for protein design through close interaction with leading partners at KTH and Chalmers at the forefront of biocatalysis and synthetic biology. The research will then be presented at international conferences and in international peer-reviewed journals. The postdoctoral duties include:
- Computer-based design of biocatalysts for selective generation of food additives
- Molecular modeling/simulation followed by in silico enzyme engineering to obtain enzymes capable of generating tailored fat molecules
- Development of bioinformatics methods for tailoring enzymes
- Research carried out in this area is conducted at low TRL levels, ie below 4, which means that the research is of a fundamental nature
- Actively contribute to the research group's activities, for example through supervision of bachelor / master students
What we offer
- A position at a leading technical university that generates knowledge and skills for a sustainable future
- Engaged and ambitious colleagues along with a creative, international and dynamic working environment
- Works in Stockholm, in close proximity to nature
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree in biochemistry, theoretical chemistry, bioinformatics, green chemistry, or equivalent competencies. This eligibility requirement must be met no later than the time the employment decision is made.
- Good knowledge of English in speech ( since it's required in daily work) and writing is necessary to publish and present research results in international conferences and journals.
- Scientific skill with relevant doctorate, ie with experience in bioinformatics, molecular modelling, theoretical chemistry and biochemical methods applied to enzymes.
- Further experience of biocatalysis.
A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree, obtained within the last three years prior to the application deadline. In addition to basic chemistry and biochemistry skills, experience of interdisciplinary work and expertise in synthetic biology is counted as a merit. In-depth knowledge of molecular modelling, bioinformatics, molecular biology, analytical chemistry, lipids as well as mass spectrometry and organic chemistry are also an advantage. Experience in laboratory work is a merit. Education in biochemistry is a merit, as well as:
- Educational ability
- Awareness of diversity and equal treatment issues with a particular focus on gender equality
Great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH's webbpage.
Log into KTH's recruitment system in order to apply to this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad.
The application must include the following documents:
- Curriculum vitae
- Cover letter (detailing both your previous scientific work experience and your interest in this position, max 2 pages)
- Contact information for three references
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
About the employment
The position offered is for, at the most, two years.
A position as a postdoctoral fellow is a time-limited qualified appointment focusing mainly on research, intended as a first career step after a dissertation.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
Anställningsform: visstidsanställning längre än 6 månader | Anställningens omfattning: heltid | Antal lediga befattningar: 1 | Sysselsättningsgrad: 100% | Ort: Stockholm | Län: Stockholms län | Land: Sweden | Referensnummer: C-2022-1368 | Kontakt: Per-Olof Syrén, Assoc. Professor 087906508,per-olof.syren@biotec, | Publicerat: 2022-06-17 | Sista ansökningsdag: 2022-10-20