Ansök senast: 2023-01-27
Postdoc in Life Cycle Sustainability Assessment of Windpower
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
The Department of Sustainable Development, Environmental Science and Engineering (SEED) conducts research and education focused on the sustainable development of society. SEED gathers a broad range of interdisciplinary expertise to conduct research that covers a wide field within environmental, engineering and sustainability issues.
The position involves developing the methods of (environmental) life cycle assessment (LCA), social life cycle assessment (S-LCA) and integrated sustainability life cycle assessment (Life Cycle Sustainability Assessment, LSCA) within a case study on land-based wind power. LSCA is here based on combining LCA with S-LCA for a broader sustainability perspective. The purpose of LCSA is to have a more holistic view on sustainability, in alignment with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The life cycle perspective aims at covering the entire life cycle of a product or service, from raw material extraction to waste. The methods are developed to varying degrees, with S-LCA and LCSA considered to be the least developed. Further research is required to develop and improve them.
The work involves evaluating various wind power plants in databases with environmental and social data. We will use the software Open LCA, the database Ecoinvent for environmental data and SOCA, a module based on the social database PSILCA. In addition to running evaluations in existing databases, we will explore new approaches to evaluate biodiversity, considered by some to be insufficiently handled within LCA today. Further deepening will be to assess the rapid technological development in the wind power sector. What new solutions are underway, and how could this potentially affect the environmental and social impact on society?
Additionally, the issue of social impacts in the use phase will be examined. This phase of the life cycle is only covered within S-LCA to a very limited degree. Here we will try to develop methods for user aspects in S-LCA and integrate them into the LCSA.
The position includes up to 20 % teaching.
What we offer
- A position at a leading technical university that generates knowledge and skills for a sustainable future
- Engaged and ambitious colleagues along with a creative, international and dynamic working environment
- Works in Stockholm, in close proximity to nature
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree, This eligibility requirement must be met no later than the time the employment decision is made.
- Knowledge in life cycle assessment (LCA, S-LCA, LCSA)
- You possess good ability to express yourself in both speech and writing in Swedish and English, since it is essential for your daily work
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree, obtained within the last three years prior to the application deadline
- Knowledge of and understanding of sustainable development, including social sustainability.
- Knowledge of social life cycle assessment
- Knowledge of software and databases for environmental and social life cycle assessments
- Knowledge of wind power technology
- Knowledge of assessment methods for biodiversity
- You possess excellent ability to express yourself in both speech and writing in Swedish and English, since it is essential for your daily work
- It's commendable if you have a commitment to sustainable development, and an awareness of diversity and equal opportunity issues, with specific focus on gender equality
As a person, you show independence and take initiatives. The work also requires collaborative abilities, research expertise and accuracy. We prefer that you have good teaching abilities.
Great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH's webbpage.
Log into KTH's recruitment system in order to apply to this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
The application must include:
- CV including relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Copy of diplomas and grades from your previous university studies. Translations into English or Swedish if the original documents have not been issued in any of these languages.
- Brief account of why you want to conduct research, your academic interests and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. Max two pages long.
About the employment
The position offered is for, at the most, two years.
A position as a postdoctoral fellow is a time-limited qualified appointment focusing mainly on research, intended as a first career step after a dissertation.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
Anställningsform: tidsbegränsad anställning | Anställningens omfattning: heltid | Antal lediga befattningar: 1 | Sysselsättningsgrad: 100% | Ort: Stockholm | Län: Stockholms län | Land: Sweden | Referensnummer: A-2022-2900 | Kontakt: Elisabeth Ekener firstname.lastname@example.org, Elisabeth Ekener email@example.com, | Publicerat: 2022-11-11 | Sista ansökningsdag: 2022-12-20