Ansök senast: 2023-10-29
Postdoc in experimental fluid mechanics
The postdoctoral researcher will conduct experimental (and if suitable and possible numerical) studies of various types of flow instabilities both within boundary layers that develop on rotating cones of various sharpness and within an eccentric Taylor-Couette-Poiseuille (eTCP) flow for studies of flow instabilities and transition to turbulence. Both set-ups are already existent. The former has produced a number of publications (the latest being: Ref1, Ref2, Ref3), while the second is ready for use and has produced preliminary flow visualizations. For the project, measurements will be undertaken with a multi-component LDV system and stereoscopic PIV, hence experience in experimental fluid mechanics is instrumental. Linear stability analysis and numerical simulations are also planned in case of suitable candidates. This project will allow direct comparisons between experiments, simulations and with theory for a better understanding of centrifugally driven instabilities in flows in rotating configurations, particularly in the transitional and turbulent regimes.
The project is a collaboration between Ramis Örlü (OsloMet and KTH), Philipp Schlatter (FAU Erlangen and KTH), and Rebecca Lingwood (KTH).
What we offer
- A position at a leading technical university that generates knowledge and skills for a sustainable future
- Engaged and ambitious colleagues along with a creative, international and dynamic working environment
- Work in Stockholm, in close proximity to nature
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree. This eligibility requirement must be met no later than the time the employment decision is made.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English as this will be required in day-to-day work.
- Relevant submitted/published work in the field of fluid mechanics.
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree, obtained within the last three years prior to the application deadline
- A suitable background for this position would be a in Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering with a specialization in experimental fluid mechanics in the field of transition and turbulence. Knowledge of computational methods will be beneficial.
- Applicants must possess the ability to work independently and perform critical analysis as well as possess good levels of cooperative and communicative abilities. This point is of importance since the main PIs are located in Oslo, Erlangen and Cambridge, while being affiliated with KTH, however, (emeritus professor) P. Henrik Alfredsson will also be involved in the project and is located in Stockholm.
- Awareness of diversity and equal opportunity issues, with specific focus on gender equality
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH's webbpage.
To apply for the position
Log into KTH's recruitment system in order to apply for this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad.
- CV including relevant professional experience, knowledge, and publication list (incl. PDF of your PhD thesis).
- Copy of diplomas and grades from your previous university studies. Translations into English, Swedish or German if the original documents have not been issued in any of these languages.
- The motivation letter should include a brief account of why you want to conduct research, your academic interests and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. Max two pages long.
- Contact information for at least two references (do not add reference letters).
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time). Note that applications will be evaluated continuously even before the application deadline.
About the employment
The position offered is for, at the most, two years.
A position as a postdoctoral fellow is a time-limited qualified appointment focusing mainly on research, intended as a first career step after a dissertation.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy. Read more hereAnställningsform: tidsbegränsad anställning
Anställningens omfattning: heltid
Antal lediga befattningar: 1
Län: Stockholms län
Kontakt: Ramis Örlü, firstname.lastname@example.org , Ramis Örlü, email@example.com , Philipp Schlatter, firstname.lastname@example.org , Philipp Schlatter, email@example.com ,
Sista ansökningsdag: 2023-10-06