Ansök senast: 2023-04-18
Postdoc in discovery & characterisation of microbial target enzymes
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
The oomycetes are a huge group of organisms that include many devastating animal and plant pathogens. These opportunistic microorganisms are responsible for substantial financial loss and environmental damage in agriculture and aquaculture worldwide. This project primarily focuses on new approaches for disease control caused by pathogenic oomycetes. The project aims to identify and characterize key proteins that belong to the pathogen and are potentially involved in the infection process. In the later stage, the project also aims to develop new anti-oomycete drugs.
The tasks associated with the position include gene cloning, production and purification of recombinant proteins, assays of enzyme activity and stability, and protein sequencing by mass spectrometry. You are expected to (i) independently develop and analyze research at a high qualitative level, (ii) communicate the research results to the research group and a wider audience, (iii) be responsible for a few related projects in parallel and supervise the lab’s master students. The project also involves collaboration with different research partners in Sweden and abroad. The candidate will also be expected to participate in the collaborative writing of those high-impact papers that summarize the results achieved.
What we offer
- A position at a leading technical university that generates knowledge and skills for a sustainable future
- Engaged and ambitious colleagues along with a creative, international and dynamic working environment
- Work in Stockholm, in close proximity to nature
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH
- A strongly multi-disciplinary lab, encompassing groups focussing on materials development, resource utilisation, sustainable agriculture, and fundamental glycoscience.
Read more about what it is like to work at KTH
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree, This eligibility requirement must be met no later than the time the employment decision is made. Your doctorate should have been obtained within a relevant field of study, such as biochemistry, microbiology, molecular biology, enzymology or biotechnology.
- You must have specific research skills relevant to the project, as well as relevant specific subject knowledge. The project is connected with sustainable agriculture and aquaculture; it is therefore highly desirable that you possess advanced knowledge of sustainable development issues.
- As you will also contribute to student instruction and supervision, you must be sensitive to the importance of diversity, equity, and equal opportunity in education and employment.
- You will be joining a highly diverse Division in terms of age, educational background, gender, and country of origin. You will be expected to work collaboratively within this setting.
- You should have sufficient research experience to work independently after the initial discussion. You should be able to plan your own time, keep to deadlines, and generate data efficiently and quickly
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree, obtained within the last three years prior to the application deadline
- Experience in handling, maintaining and working with various pathogenic oomycetes and/or other pathogenic microorganisms.
- Strong experience in cloning, expression and purification of proteins in various hosts e.g. yeast and bacteria.
- Experience in biochemical and biophysical characterization of proteins.
- When assessing candidates, a great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
- It is preferable if you have experience supervising Master’s or Bachelor’s students, and some competence in teaching is desirable.
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH's webbpage.
Log into KTH's recruitment system in order to apply to this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
About the employment
The position offered is for, at the most, two years.
A position as a postdoctoral fellow is a time-limited qualified appointment focusing mainly on research, intended as a first career step after a dissertation.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy. Read more hereAnställningsform: tidsbegränsad anställning
Anställningens omfattning: heltid
Antal lediga befattningar: 1
Sysselsättningsgrad: 100 %
Län: Stockholms län
Kontakt: Vaibhav Srivastava 087909649, Vaibhav Srivastava 087909649,
Sista ansökningsdag: 2023-03-15
Fler jobb från Kungliga Tekniska högskolan: