Ansök senast: 2023-01-22
Postdoc in digitalization and climate impacts
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
The project aims for increased knowledge about climate and other environmental impacts that increased digitalization may lead to. It also aims for a better understanding on how digitalization can support a sustainable development and reduced climate impact. KTH has leading research both regarding Digitalization (for example within the centre KTH Digital Futures) and climate and sustainability (for example within the KTH Climate Action Centre). KTH has also a growing research program on the connections between digitalization and sustainable development.
This call is for a Digital Futures Partner postdoc fellowship. Such aims to support talented early-career researchers in pursuing their research ideas in a new research group and institution. The current fellowship is financed by KTH Digital Futures, Ericsson and KTH Climate Action Centre.
The call is for research on environmental impacts of Information and communication technology (ICT) based on life-cycle assessment (LCA) and life cycle thinking with the aim to increase knowledge on primarily direct but also indirect impacts of digitalization. The research is expected to include both quantitative assessments and development of methods for such assessments. In the first phase, research should focus on issues related to energy use and climate impact. Ericsson can provide opportunities for access to data that can normally be difficult to access.
The position include independent research and collaboration with researchers and actors with different roles in digitalization, primarily from academia and companies. The position will be placed at the Department of Sustainable Development, Environmental Science and Engineering (SEED) at KTH, but cooperation with other parts of Digital Futures and KTH Climate Action Centre is expected. The position may also include some teaching at relevant courses at KTH.
What we offer
- A position at a leading technical university that generates knowledge and skills for a sustainable future
- Engaged and ambitious colleagues along with a creative, international and dynamic working environment
- Works in Stockholm, in close proximity to nature
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH
- Funding to pursue research ideas and conduct research in a new research group at a leading university within the Digital Futures environment and with close connections to KTH Climate Action Centre
- An international workplace
- Access to Digital Futures’ resources, its network of academic and industrial partners, infrastructure and testbeds, events and happenings
- Mentorship and support in career development and research leadership education
- Access to cutting edge experts within both digitalization and life-cycle assessment from academia
- Access to expertise in the area and industry and standardization networks within Ericsson
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree, This eligibility requirement must be met no later than the time the employment decision is made.
- Documented knowledge/working experience within at least one of the following topics:
- life-cycle assessment
- environmental effects of the ICT sector
- Interest in developing your skills in environmental impacts and digitalization
- Awareness of diversity and equal opportunity issues, with specific focus on gender equality
- As a person:
- You are highly creative, driving and motivated
- You are able to work independently
- You possess good ability to express yourself in both speech and writing in English, since it is essential for your daily work
- You are good at creating new professional contacts and you are looking forward to new collaborations
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree, obtained within the last three years prior to the application deadline
- Experience in life-cycle assessments from the ICT sector
- Experience in life-cycle assessments from some other sector
- Experience from teaching
Great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH's webbpage.
Log into KTH's recruitment system in order to apply to this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
The application must include:
- CV including relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Copy of diplomas and grades from your previous university studies. Translations into English or Swedish if the original documents have not been issued in any of these languages.
- Brief account of your academic interests and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. Max two pages.
- Brief account of some ideas on how you want to conduct research on the environmental footprint of digitalization through life-cycle assessment. 1-2 pages.
The application may also include one-two recommendation letters.
About the employment
The position offered is for, at the most, two years.
A position as a postdoctoral fellow is a time-limited qualified appointment focusing mainly on research, intended as a first career step after a dissertation.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
Anställningsform: visstidsanställning längre än 6 månader | Anställningens omfattning: heltid | Antal lediga befattningar: 1 | Sysselsättningsgrad: 100% | Ort: Stockholm | Län: Stockholms län | Land: Sweden | Referensnummer: A-2022-2551 | Kontakt: Göran Finnveden email@example.com, | Publicerat: 2022-10-17 | Sista ansökningsdag: 2022-11-30