- Kemi och bioteknik
- Teknisk fysik och matematik
Ansök senast: 2021-06-16
Postdoc in carbohydrate polymer chemistry and material science
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
The research in the Division of Glycoscience is focused in various areas of Glycobiology, comprising fundamental research on plants and microorganisms, as well as biotechnological developments towards carbohydrate-based products. The research requires multidisciplinary approaches that are fully integrated in the Division in the form of interconnected activities in the following areas: Bioenergy, Biomaterials, Biorefinery, Food Sustainability and Disease Control.
The objective of the postdoc position:
- Plan and execute research experiments in the Eurostar CarboNor project, with a focus on the conversion of carbohydrate polymers from nordic algal biomass into high-value biotech products. The overarching aim is to establish a novel commercial brand of bioactives and structural carbohydrates from abundant seaweeds for the development of high-value products for the biomedical and cosmetics sectors.
- Communicate and disseminate the research results with academic collaborators and industrial partners, as well as the public.
The postdoc will work within the following research projects:
- Extraction and characterization of polysaccharide fractions from algal biomass
- Tailoring the structure and properties of algal polysaccharide using (bio)chemistry tools
- Design and fabrication of biocomposite materials from algal biomass for applications in the biomedical and cosmetics sectors
The postdoc will responsible for
- planning and execution of research experiments
- analysis of experimental data and reporting of research results
- writing scientific publications
- communicating with group members and collaborators'
- assisting with in-lab supervision of master students
What we offer
- A position at a leading technical university that generates knowledge and skills for a sustainable future
- Engaged and ambitious colleagues along with a creative, international and dynamic working environment
- Works in Stockholm, in close proximity to nature
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree, obtained within the last three years prior to the application deadline (With some exceptions for special reasons such as periods of sick or parental leave, kindly indicate if such reason exists in your resume).
- The applicant should hold a PhD in a field of polymer technology, materials science and engineering, physical chemistry or the equivalent.
- The applicant should have a solid knowledge in surface and colloidal chemistry, materials chemistry, polymer chemistry, biochemistry, and enzyme technology as applied to biomaterials in general.
- The applicant should show good track record of scientific production and communication, a creative and self-motivated personality with interest in fundamental and/or applied sciences, excellent problem-solving skills, good communication skills, good team-working skills, broad scientific knowledge and strong scientific culture.
During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability in:
- Research expertise
- Educational ability
- Awareness of diversity and equal treatment issues with a particular focus on gender equality
- Command of written and spoken English.
Great emphasis will be placed on personal competency
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH's webbpage.
Log into KTH's recruitment system in order to apply to this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad.
The application must include:
- CV including relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Copy of diplomas and grades from your previous university studies. Translations into English or Swedish if the original documents have not been issued in any of these languages.
- Brief account of why you want to conduct research, your academic interests and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. Max two pages long.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
About the employment
The position offered is for one year, with the possibility of extension for one more year.
The position offered is for, at the most, two years.
A position as a postdoctoral fellow is a time-limited qualified appointment focusing mainly on research, intended as a first career step after a dissertation.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.