Ansök senast: 2023-01-22
Master Thesis: Future Competing Battery-Chemistries in Large- Scale Battery Energy Storage Systems
About the thesis
The electrification of wider society & industry is driving an extraordinary need for increased power generation primarily from intermittent sources. An increasing share of intermittent power generation in the energy system calls for large-scale energy storages. Batteries are one alternative frequently employed as energy storage system where Li-ion is the dominating technology. As the battery-industry grows and further potentials unravel, so does the business potential which in turn drives a technical development of bringing more chemistries to the table.
At Vattenfall R&D we are interested in learning more about the promising battery-chemistries who will be able to compete with existing technologies in large scale deployments within the next 5-10 years.
Scope: What to do
• Review literature on battery storage and summarize a fundamental overview of generally feasible chemistries
• Involve critical stakeholders in a dialogue to summarize the view of future potential chemistries being able to complement Li-ion as large-scale battery energy storage system.
• Identify the hurdles and problems that these stakeholders see (e.g., safety aspects, capital and operating costs, critical minerals, business risk profile) and define relevant decision criteria
• Identify 2-3 possible chemistries with a significant technology-readiness level increase during the next 5-10 years.
• Interview manufacturers, suppliers and/or system integrators that work with the chosen battery chemistries
• Develop system design specifications for each chemistry for a combination of use cases and at a site specified by Vattenfall.
• Compare the different alternative chemistries for this combination of use cases at the specified site with the standard Li-ion technology currently used, based on a number of specified criteria’s, among others investment as well as running cost, environmental as well as fire risks and life-time.
• Identify whether the selected technologies is a transition technology or a longer-term technology with potential for further improvements.
For more information - Adj. Prof. Magnus Berg , R&D Portfolio Manager +46 706 339 444, email@example.com
We welcome your application in English no later than December 11th 2022. We kindly request that you do not send applications by any means other than via our website.
At Vattenfall we are convinced that diversity contributes to build a more profitable and attractive company and we strive to be a good role model regarding diversity. Vattenfall works actively for all employees to have the same opportunities and rights regardless of gender, ethnicity, age, transgender identity or expression, religion or other belief, disability or sexual orientation. Click here for further information.
Since Vattenfall is a part of the Swedish critical infrastructure, many of our services are security classed. If this position is security classed the final candidates might be subjected to a security vetting process, according to the Swedish legislation.
We look forward to receiving your application!
Vattenfall is one of Europe’s largest producers and retailers of electricity and heat. Our main markets are Sweden, Germany, the Netherlands, Denmark, and the UK. The Vattenfall Group has approximately 20,000 employees. We have been electrifying industries, powering homes and transforming life through innovation for more than 100 years. We now want to make fossil free living possible within one generation and we are driving the transition to a sustainable energy system.