- Data och IT
- Informations- och kommunikationsteknik
Ansök senast: 2022-03-19
Doctoral students in Networked Systems Security
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
Third-cycle subject: Electrical Engineering; or Computer Science; or Information and Communication Technologies.
We invite applications for doctoral student positions with the Networked Systems Security (NSS) lab at EECS/SCS. We are looking for highly motivated individuals to pursue a PhD in security and privacy. The positions involve activities leading to original research and results in peer-reviewed publications. The research topics can relate with any of the NSS group areas (https://www.eecs.kth.se/nss).
The NSS group designs and builds trustworthy networked systems, with a research agenda covering a gamut of security and privacy problems and results that got significant attention by the research community. NSS introduced a new security curriculum at KTH. Candidates with experimental/systems or theoretical profiles and research interests in any aspect of security and privacy are welcome to apply.
Supervision: The doctoral student will be supervised by: Professor Panagiotis ‘Panos’ Papadimitratos.
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world.Read more
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH’s Doctoral student salary agreement.
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Work and study in Stockholm, close to nature and the water.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH.
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a degree at advanced level in computer science, electrical engineering or a related area,
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits at advanced level, or
- acquired, in some other way within or outside the country, substantially equivalent knowledge
In addition to the above, there is also a mandatory requirement for English equivalent to English B/6, read more here
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
Candidates should have:
- strong interest in several of the following: design, analysis, verification, implementation, or empirical evaluation of secure networked systems; and
- solid background in several of the following: computer security, privacy preserving or enhancing technologies, mobile computing, networking, Internet security, wireless communications, distributed algorithms and systems, programming languages, performance analysis, operating systems, simulation techniques and tools, software engineering, system and network programming, applied cryptography, information theory.
- readiness and willingness to contribute to our research and work in an international research team.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal qualities and personal suitability.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ' time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website.
Doctoral section (Students’ union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section's website.
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of your academic interests, how they relate to your previous studies, work, and future goals, and how you can match and contribute to the NSS research agenda. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above). Translations into English or Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
- Recommendation letters: Please include detailed contact information for at least two (2) references.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.