- Design och produktutveckling
- Materialteknik och design
Ansök senast: 2021-01-21
Doctoral student System effects of digitalization on freight transport
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
Third-cycle subject: Machine Design
Integrated Transport Research Lab (ITRL), a multidiciplinary research center at KTH focusing on sustaninable transport system, employs a doctoral student who will do research in the field of system level effects of driverless vehicles, electrification, and digitlaization on logistics, freight transport and society. The project is a close collaboration between Trafikverket (National Transport Administration), KTH och Linköping university.
The digital and technological development will change the society, the question is: how? Trends like e-commerce, connectivity, automation, and circular economy will change freight transports. There are great opportunities to increase efficiency, but at the same time research has shown that the amount of traffic is expected to increase as a consequence of the use of the new technology.
To study the effects the doctoral student will analyse causal relationships in the freight and logistics systems. Questions that we aim to answer include: How will the new technology affect choice of transport solutions and business models? What are the system effects on societal level? How should policies and strategies be designed to reach a sustainable future?
In the project workshops with different stakeholders will be performed, and a simulation model based on System Dynamics will be developed to simulate the effects and evaluate strategies and policies.
The applicant should have a master degree within system design or similar, and experience of simulation models. Project results will be communicated to a scientific audience as well as to decision makers in private and public sector, so the applicant should master both written and oral communication.
Supervision: The doctoral student will be supervised by:Anna Pernestål, KTH, och Maria Huge-Brodin, Linköpings universitet.
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world.Read more
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH’s Doctoral student salary agreement.
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Work and study in Stockholm, close to nature and the water.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH.
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a degree at advanced level,
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits at advanced level, or
- in any other way acquired within or outside the country acquired essentially equivalent knowledge.
- Requirements for English equivalent to English B/6, read more here.
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
The applicant should be fluent in English, written as well as oral, be communicative, and have good academic grades. Knowledge in Swedish, spoken as well as written, is a merit. Experience and knowledge in modelling and simulation is a merit, as well as experience from the transport sector.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal qualities and personal suitability.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ' time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website.
Doctoral section (Students’ union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section's website.
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above). Translations into English or Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.