Ansök senast: 2021-03-18
Doctoral student in system balancing models at nearly 100% renewable power
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
The division of electric power and energy systems runs projects and offers courses in electricity markets, power production, electric vehicles, electric machines and power electronics, as well as in transmission and distribution of electricity, including automation and control of these systems. The department is internationally well-established and has several established collaborations with leading universities around the world.
Third-cycle subject:Electrical Engineering
This as is for a doctoral students in development of models for power system balancing in a future with close to 100% renewable power.
Wind power has grown strongly in recent years and is expected to continue to increase significantly. Solar power is also expected to increase. In a power system, a continuous balance is maintained between production and consumption. In the Nordic power system, this is currently handled mainly by hydro power. With large amounts of wind and solar power, it will be a challenge to maintain this balance. The system becomes more volatile with changing conditions between different states. Also in this system it is necessary to keep the continuous balance between production and consumption. The aim of this project is to build models to estimate future imbalances and the need for support services. The basic system has much higher consumption, and more flexibility
Supervision: The doctoral student will be supervised by Professor Lennart Söder and associate professor Robert Eriksson.
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world.Read more
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH’s Doctoral student salary agreement.
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Work and study in Stockholm, close to nature and the water.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH.
- The doctoral program in electrical engineering offers world-class education, with postgraduate courses that ensure an in-depth development of relevant knowledge and skills
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a degree at advanced level,
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits at advanced level, or
- in any other way acquired within or outside the country acquired essentially equivalent knowledge.
- Requirements for English equivalent to English B/6, read more here.
- Applicants must hold or will soon hold a master's degree in electrical engineering, mathematics, energy systems, control engineering, engineering physics, computational science or equivalent
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
- Knowledge in Swedish, written and oral, is a merit.
Furthermore, the selected applicant needs to have an excellent academic track record, well-developed analytical skills, and problem-solving skills. We are looking for a highly motivated candidate who can work independently. Good knowledge of English in speech and writing is necessary to publish and present research results in international conferences and journals.After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal qualities and personal suitability.Swedish is meritorious for this position since the language will be used frequently when performing the work tasks.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ' time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website.
Doctoral section (Students’ union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section's website.
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above). Translations into English or Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.