- Data och IT
Ansök senast: 2021-06-17
Doctoral student in Software Engineering
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
The third-cycle subject the doctoral student will be admitted to is computer science, more information at https://intra.kth.se/en/eecs/forskarutbildning/doctoral-programmes/computer-science-1.817607
Research area: Complexity on modern computer systems is virtually unavoidable, it naturally compounds with the number of requirements and features demanded from such systems. As it increases the amount of unforeseen scenarios and unexpected interactions also does, and the task of anticipating them becomes nearly impossible for developers. Hence, the need exists for tools that help developers navigate through complexity by automatically and exhaustively exploring the failure space.
Chaos Engineering is a pragmatic approach to deal with this ever-increasing complexity and build confidence in the systems’ capability to work correctly under turbulent conditions. If we assume that such turbulent conditions are unavoidable, then we can regularly force them on a system’s production environment to actively test its resilience. As a side-effect, we may also expose hard-to-find errors and collect valuable data. This is achieved in a systematic way: by creating perturbation models that describe what, when, and how perturbations will be introduced into the system, and hypotheses define the expected behavior of the system.
Problem statement: In this doctoral exam, we will address the problem of performing chaos engineering in specific domains starting incl. but not limited to databases, blockchains, MVEs.
Third-cycle subject: Computer Science
Supervision by Professor Martin Monperrus
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world.Read more
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH’s Doctoral student salary agreement.
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a degree at advanced level,
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits at advanced level, or
- in any other way acquired within or outside the country acquired essentially equivalent knowledge.
- Requirements for English equivalent to English B/6, read more here.
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
- design and perform experimental computational work in an open-ended research setting.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ' time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
Union representatives: KTH's website
Doctoral section: Students’ union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology
Apply for position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is applicant’s responsibility to ensure that application is complete in accordance with instructions in advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/central European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above). Translations into English or Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline contact with staffing/recruitment agencies,job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.