Ansök senast: 2023-03-11
Doctoral student in Power Electronics
The position will be located in the power electronics research group within the school of electrical engineering and computer science at KTH. The group carries out research in several fields, notably high-power electronics for power transmission grids, and applications of wide-bandgap power semiconductors.
The ongoing electrification of road vehicles is now also moving to the field of commercial vehicles (trucks and buses) which currently cause 5% ― 7% of the total global CO2 emissions. The project will study integrated drivetrains for such heavy vehicles, focussing on the power electronics. New power semiconductors based on silicon carbide (SiC) and gallium nitride (GaN) potentially offer great benefits in terms of efficiency and compactness.
The primary objective of the gate driver is to control the power semiconductor devices of the motor inverter such that they switch in an optimal way for maximum efficiency and in order to protect the inverter from internal short circuits and extreme fault cases. A smart gate driver can also perform additional tasks, for instance tailored switching transitions for reduced motor winding stress or condition monitoring of gate threshold voltage, gate leakage, or ON-state voltage drop. Different realizations (for instance with FPGA) should be compared regarding performance and reliability. Advanced signal processing may be necessary and the implementation of this may have to be investigated
Third-cycle subject: Electrical Engineering
Supervision: Professor Hans-Peter Nee and Docent Staffan Norrga.
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world.Read more
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH’s Doctoral student salary agreement.
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Participation in a very inclusive and multidisciplinary group carrying out world-class research in power electronics.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH.
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a second cycle degree (for example a master's degree), or
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 second-cycle higher education credits, or
- acquired, in some other way within or outside the country, substantially equivalent knowledge
In addition to the above, there is also a mandatory requirement for English equivalent to English B/6, read more here
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach,
- analyse and work with complex issues,
- have knowledge of enabling technologies for power electronics, for instance: electromagnetics, semiconductor technology, and materials science,
- use 3D solid modelling tools, and
- do experimental work in power electronics, for instance, building and testing power converters.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ' time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
Contact information KTH's website.
Doctoral section (Students’ union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
Contact information section's website.
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
Applications must include:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above). Translations into English or Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages.Copies of originals must be certified.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing, recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.Anställningsform: tidsbegränsad anställning | Anställningens omfattning: heltid | Antal lediga befattningar: 1 | Sysselsättningsgrad: 100% | Ort: Stockholm | Län: Stockholms län | Land: Sweden | Referensnummer: J-2023-0022 | Kontakt: Docent Staffan Norrga email@example.com, Docent Staffan Norrga firstname.lastname@example.org, Lisa Olsson HR Officer email@example.com, Lisa Olsson HR Officer firstname.lastname@example.org, | Publicerat: 2023-01-10 | Sista ansökningsdag: 2023-02-07