- Data och IT
Ansök senast: 2021-06-16
Doctoral student in electromagnetic field theory and computation
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
Third-cycle subject: Electrical Engineering
The work will be conducted at the Division of Electromagnetic Engineering, at the School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. The division is internationally well established, has many research collaborations with partners worldwide, and is involved in several European and national projects. The staff has a multicultural background and the working language is English.
The research group in electromagnetic field theory is now looking for a PhD student in the area, as agreed upon with the main supervisor. One relevant project is on developing mathematical methods and models for electromagnetic analysis of plasmonic resonances in small structures embedded in dispersive (lossy) materials. There is a lack of theoretical knowledge on particle resonances and energy absorption when the surrounding medium has losses, as always is the case with e.g. biological tissue. Different models aiming to enable analysis of wave propagation in systems utilizing plasmonic resonances in the radio- and microwave frequency range is studied. The project focuses on
- Dielectric spectrum of materials with inserted gold nanoparticles (GNPs)
- Waveguide theory for thin graded layers with plasmonic properties
- Parameter studies, simulations and model matching
The position includes analysis and further development of existing solutions, use of electromagnetic field theory to identify potential new solutions, and verification mainly through numerical simulations, but experimental verification may also be relevant.
Supervision: The doctoral student will be supervised by Mariana Dalarsson
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world.Read more
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH’s Doctoral student salary agreement.
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Work and study in Stockholm, close to nature and the water.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH.
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a degree at advanced level,
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits at advanced level, or
- in any other way acquired within or outside the country acquired essentially equivalent knowledge.
- Requirements for English equivalent to English B/6, read more here.
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
The applicant should have a good understanding of electromagnetic field theory. Experience of some of the following areas is highly valued: waveguide theory, metamaterials, electromagnetic computation and simulation tools. The applicant needs to have a well developed analytical and problem solving ability. Good command of the English language in both speech and writing is required.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Target degree: Doctoral Degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ' time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website.
Doctoral section (Students’ union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section's website.
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above). Translations into English or Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.