- Kemi och bioteknik
Ansök senast: 2021-08-10
Doctoral student in Adoption and use of socially assistive robots
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
Third-cycle subject: Technology and Health
The doctoral position is offered by the Department of Biomedical Engineering and Health Systems. We conduct research on medical information and communications systems in health care, nursing, rehabilitation, physical exercise and health.
The project focuses on the ‘Adoption and use of socially assistive robots for ethically sustainable care’. Socially assistive robots are assistive technologies providing physical, cognitive and social support for independent living for older adults or persons in a risk of disability. The implementation of these technologies in care practices remains a challenge, and health systems need to be designed to support patient-centeredness in robot-assisted care in an ethically sustainable way.
The doctoral student will investigate the adoption and use of socially assistive robots in patient-caregiver interactions, explore the development potential of socially assistive robots to enhance quality of care, and create new health system designs for robot-assisted care. The methodology will be based on digital ethnography, interaction analysis and participatory design, involving older adults and their care providers in the design process of new health systems designs for robot-assisted care.
The research area contributes to the digitalisation of health care, welfare technology, social robotics and artificial intelligence in the field on Science and Technology Studies (STS) and Human-Computer Interaction (HCI)
Supervision: The doctoral student will be supervised by Professor Sebastiaan Meijer and Assistant Professor Sanna Kuoppamäki
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world.Read more
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH’s Doctoral student salary agreement.
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Work and study in Stockholm, close to nature and the water.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH.
- Interdisciplinary research environment and possibility to develop competences and skills across disciplinary boundaries
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a degree at advanced level,
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits at advanced level, or
- acquired, in some other way within or outside the country, substantially equivalent knowledge
- Requirements for English equivalent to English B/6, read more here.
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues
- collaborate in interdisciplinary research environment
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ' time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website.
Doctoral section (Students’ union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section's website.
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above). Translations into English or Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.